These are challenging times and we are all learning how to adjust. Many people are also wondering if and how they can help others. Here we gather some information and suggestions which may be of interest to the community. We will update the page over time as we hear of new initiatives.
First and foremost, please make sure you are familiar with the latest official advice, and follow all appropriate precautions.
Looking out for each other in Clane
- Have you any neighbours that may need assistance now or in the future? Are they OK? Do they have your number? Would they like to give you theirs?
- Some local groups and businesses are offering important support:
- Clane Gardaí have assigned dedicated Gardaí to support the community. If you need their support phone the station at 045 868 262.
- Clane Red Cross are willing to help people with medical support, collecting prescriptions etc. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 086 267 2735. More information here.
- Clane Community First Responders are willing to collect prescriptions, shopping, walking dogs etc. Email email@example.com or telephone 089 4965332. More information here.
- Clane GAA and Condron’s SuperValu have partnered up to arrange deliveries of shopping for vulnerable members of the community. Complete information is available here. Vulnerable members of the community can text in (do not call) their name and phone number to 087 278 2827 and volunteers will phone them back to take the order, and arrange delivery.
- Irish Wheelchair Association Clane are offering wheelchair accessible transport and also also pre-made frozen meals. Contact 087 143 7796 or email Tinga.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Many Clane businesses are offering phone-and-collect, click-and-collect and deliveries and are detailing their updated hours and services on Facebook here.
- The Community Call: Kildare County Council are coordinating a Kildare Community Response Forum. People needing support can call 1800 300 174 from 9am to 5pm, seven days a week. The helpdesk will connect in with all the local and state services in Kildare as well as the community groups in this map: https://www.kildareppn.ie/resources/covid-19-community/.
- Local walks within 5km of Clane include:
- Please be mindful of others and maintain social distancing
- If there is no footpath remember to walk or jog on the right to face oncoming traffic
- Local HSE have requested Kildare GAA establish a list of volunteers with skills in any trade, IT, cleaning, teaching, special needs, health care, home help, chefs, catering, driving, train the trainers. Details here.
- The national register for volunteers interested in supporting the HSE is On Call for Ireland.
- The official website to register interest in general volunteering is https://www.i-vol.ie/volunteering-during-covid-19/
- Some people who are willing to help people nearby are adding their details to the site https://randall.ie/help/
- Local volunteer groups can register their support details on the Community Call map: https://www.kildareppn.ie/resources/covid-19-community/.
Time on your hands at home?
- Kildare County Council have published a colouring book online: children might like to Colour in in Kildare Heritage.
- Visit Kildare Library Online and check out their collections of online books, courses, comics, music and more.
- Watch out for the signs of spring in your back garden or from the window. There are easy-to-use guides online to help identify that wildflower, butterfly or garden bird. Become a citizen scientist and contribute your sightings. Projects such as the Backyard Biodiversity survey or SpringAlive are suitable for all ages, and help fill in gaps in our knowledge.
- Help us improve this website! Are you in a local community group? Is the group in the list here? Could your group’s information be updated or improved? Is there some other type of information that could be useful on this website? Please let us know!
- Help put Clane on the map: thousands of websites (including Met Éireann, Kildare County Council and many pages on ClaneCommunity.ie) use OpenStreetMap as their underlying map. Spend a few minutes to check Clane here to see if the places, the amenities, the businesses you visit in Clane (and elsewhere) are appearing correctly. If not, you can add a note to the map using the icon on the right of the page, and volunteers will see how best they can deal with it.
Exploring further afield – online
- Watch feeding time at Dublin Zoo!
- Explore some of the highlights of the National Gallery of Ireland
- The National Museum invite you to visit their Explore and Learn pages for ideas and activities you can download at home. Explore some of their online exhibitions: 100 Objects, Historical Collections, Roll of Honour 1916, Easter Week Collection, or take a virtual tour of the Natural History Museum here.
- There are many other lists of suggestions online. For example, RTE have compiled a list of Family Friendly things to do at home.