The Clane Friary was founded by Gerald Fitzmaurice Fitzgerald in 1258 and was one of Ireland’s earliest Franciscan monasteries. It was suppressed by Henry VIII in 1536, but Franciscans still return each year to celebrate Mass.
The ruins of the Friary are now surrounded by the Abbey Cemetery which is maintained by the Friary & Abbey Cemetery committee of Clane Community Council. Information signs have recently been installed and illustrate the former scale of this important site.
- St. Patrick’s Day 2016 Congratulations to Clane’s St. Patrick’s Festival Committee who pulled off such a great week of festivities yet again. Clane Community Council’s float which was powered by volunteers from Clane Tidy Towns, Clane and Rathcoffey Community Games, Clane Friary and Abbey Cemetery, Clane Heritage and the Abbey Community Centre…
- Clane Friary – now a Kildare Historic Monument The Clane Friary sub-committee have recently received good news regarding new gates and official recognition, and a very well supported Blessing of the Graves was held in the Friary Graveyard in November.