Heritage Sites in Clane

Export as KML for Google Earth/Google MapsOpen standalone map in fullscreen modeCreate QR code image for standalone map in fullscreen modeExport as GeoJSONExport as GeoRSSExport as ARML for Wikitude Augmented-Reality browser
Heritage Sites in Clane

loading map - please wait...

The Abbey Community Centre: 53.290736, -6.685331
Fr. John Sullivan Memorial: 53.290594, -6.685830
Friary and Abbey Cemetery: 53.289180, -6.683013
Abbeylands House: 53.291605, -6.679559
McCracken\'s Woollen Mills: 53.286987, -6.682713
Norman Motte: 53.287154, -6.684237
Bullaun Stone: 53.289228, -6.684725
Millennium Cross: 53.288164, -6.688871
Dr. Flanagan\'s House: 53.291181, -6.686447
Old Garda Barracks: 53.292246, -6.686946
1798 Memorial: 53.294221, -6.687343
Church of St. Patrick and Brigid: 53.292060, -6.685835
The Old Court House: 53.291486, -6.686152
RIC Barracks: 53.291348, -6.686082
marker icon
Get directions Open standalone map in fullscreen mode Export as KML for Google Earth/Google Maps
The Abbey Community Centre
Clane AbbeyThe site of one of Ireland’s oldest monasteries, said to be founded by St. Ailbe around 520. It hosted the famous Synod of Clane in 1162 and was the Church of Ireland’s home until a new church was built in Millicent in 1883. It’s basically medieval structure was restored in the 1970s by Clane Community Council. Its Garden of Remembrance records those buried there as well as a surprising number of renowned Clane people.
marker icon
Get directions Open standalone map in fullscreen mode Export as KML for Google Earth/Google Maps
Fr. John Sullivan Memorial
Fr. John SullivanThis memorial was erected in memory of Fr. John Sullivan, a saintly Clongowes Jesuit whose beatification is currently being considered. A nearby information panel on Historic Clane highlights a walk which takes in some of the sights detailed here.
marker icon
Get directions Open standalone map in fullscreen mode Export as KML for Google Earth/Google Maps
Friary and Abbey Cemetery

FriaryFounded by Gerald Fitzmaurice Fitzgerald in 1258, this Friary was one of Ireland’s earliest Franciscan monasteries. It was suppressed by Henry VIII in 1536, but Franciscans still return each year to celebrate Mass. An information board at the site provides more detailed information.

marker icon
Get directions Open standalone map in fullscreen mode Export as KML for Google Earth/Google Maps
Abbeylands House
AbbeylandsAbbeylands House. Now sadly uninhabited, this listed building was constructed in 1828 for the local Church of Ireland minister. Sold to Mr. Penryn in the early 1900s it was purchased by the O’Neill family in 1934 for £200 and they lived here until the lands were sold for housing in the late 1990s.
marker icon
Get directions Open standalone map in fullscreen mode Export as KML for Google Earth/Google Maps
McCracken's Woollen Mills
MillThe River Liffey in Clane is substantial enough to power machinery and in times past a working mill existed on both sides of the river at Alexandra Bridge. Today the derelict building to the north of the bridge is all that remains of the dyehouse for McCracken's Woollen Mills. The channel for the mill race remains under the road, and can be seen from the Liffeyside Nature Park opposite.
marker icon
Get directions Open standalone map in fullscreen mode Export as KML for Google Earth/Google Maps
Norman Motte
MotteNow in the grounds of Cois Abhainn, this  impressive Norman earthworks is termed a “motte” and is reputed to be built on an earlier mound said to be King Mesgegra’s burial place. Sunday’s Well, a hot spring now covered over, is at its base.
marker icon
Get directions Open standalone map in fullscreen mode Export as KML for Google Earth/Google Maps
Bullaun Stone
BullaunOn the bank of the stream, 50m upstream from the Friary, is the oldest man-made object in Clane. This enigmatic hollowed-out stone was probably used in druidic ritual, and marks where Mesgegra is said to have been slain.
marker icon
Get directions Open standalone map in fullscreen mode Export as KML for Google Earth/Google Maps
Millennium Cross
MillenniumCrossUnveiled by President Mary McAleese in 1999 this cross is a replica of that which marks the burial place of St. Ailbe in Emly, Co. Tipperary. It sits on the base of a medieval wayside cross, known locally as the “wart stone”, which once marked a boundary of the monastery or Friary.
marker icon
Get directions Open standalone map in fullscreen mode Export as KML for Google Earth/Google Maps
Dr. Flanagan's House
DrFlanaganThis late 18th Century house built as an inn by Mathew Donnellan, a friend of Wolfe Tone who suffered imprisonment for his role in the 1798 rebellion. It marked the start of what was to be straight road via Prosperous to Limerick, commenced in 1770 but never completed.
marker icon
Get directions Open standalone map in fullscreen mode Export as KML for Google Earth/Google Maps
Old Garda Barracks
GardaBarracksThe building now housing a barbers and a jewellery shop was used as a Garda station from 1923 to the 1970s. It was previously the home of the paternal family of Blessed Columba Marmion, beatified in 2000 by Pope John Paul II.
marker icon
Get directions Open standalone map in fullscreen mode Export as KML for Google Earth/Google Maps
1798 Memorial
1798The very first battles of the 1798 Rebellion occurred here in Clane and in Prosperous, where many died. Dr. John Esmonde, who was later hanged from Carlisle Bridge in Dublin, led these local forces. Kildare rebels were led by Painstown man Wm. Aylmer and the two national leaders of the rebellion also lived locally, Wolfe Tone and Hamilton Rowan.
marker icon
Get directions Open standalone map in fullscreen mode Export as KML for Google Earth/Google Maps
Church of St. Patrick and Brigid
RC1The Presentation sisters established a convent in 1839 at this orphanage site and gave land for this fine church, designed by William Hague and built by Fr. Turner in 1884, on the site of an earlier church, for £7000. At the front is the one-roomed Old Girls School (1818), one of the oldest Catholic primary schools in Ireland.
marker icon
Get directions Open standalone map in fullscreen mode Export as KML for Google Earth/Google Maps
The Old Court House
CourthouseThe Parish Office was once the local Court House, housing the Sinn Fein courts during the War of Independence. It later formed part of the local school.
marker icon
Get directions Open standalone map in fullscreen mode Export as KML for Google Earth/Google Maps
RIC Barracks
RICBarracksMarron’s Pharmacy was the location of the Royal Irish Constabulary barracks until 1920. In the 1930s it was purchased by Sergeant Marron of An Garda Síochána as a family home.